Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cousin Kiley's Visit Update

Today I took the disk I had in my camera when it died to Costco to see if I could get any pictures off of it. And, happily I was able to get 30 pictures. Hooray! Here are some of the highlights of our days in DC.



Kiley waiting in line for our tickets to the capitol. We had to wait about 90 minutes for them. But luckily Kiley had her phone to text her friends with and her ipod to keep her spirits up!



Max waiting patiently and eating teddy grahams.

Washington Capitol Summer 2008

View from Capitol - Our house is 85 miles West - do you see it in the horizon?


Hooray - no more waiting in line!


The Rotunda's ceiling inside the Capitol.






Max wondering ... how much longer in the heat?

Max giving up a final scream, Kiley enduring to the end. I liked this shot because of the flag in the background. At this point, I had to leave the tour and Kiley finished on her own. We had to park on a meter when we were waiting for our tickets and I was sure that we would be ticketed and towed if I was not back within the 3 hour limit. Kiley kept saying to me, I'm sure it will be ok we'll only be 15 minutes late. But, I decided that I knew the DC Metro better than she and decided to make a run for it. Afterall, who wants to be stuck in DC with no car, a 2 year old who had to throw away all his snacks and water prior to entering the Capitol and who had to wake up at 5:30 am in order for us to get downtown to stand in line along with a niece who would not have enjoyed going to find the blackhole in DC where cars are towed to? Luckily, I made it back to the car to put more money in the meter, find a bathroom for both Max & I and purchase a much needed Diet Coke for myself and juice for the kids.
This same day, after recovering from my 2 mile jog back to the car with Max and the stroller(which produced blisters even with sneakers on) we were able to see The Holocaust Museum and the Jefferson Memorial. We ended up putting the car in a garage and we walked and walked and walked ... but it was all worth it! Kiley enjoyed seeing the sights and hopefully she'll come visit us again soon!

1 comment:

Raenie said...

Oh the joys of DC. We've visited many a times, mostly with family and each time it's always an adventure. It seems we either get lost, can't find a parking spot, run out of water, or are drenched in the humidity! But ya gotta love our nations capitol.