Sunday, September 14, 2008

48 Years and Still Going Strong!

Yesterday was a BIG day for my parents Karl and Marie Tippets. They celebrated their 48th wedding anniversary. They were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple and have been through many years of joy, triumph, trials and success. I guess you could say they did have a great "blind date" that has now lead to the following history.

Dad was released from the Army just after they were married and continued his education at the University of Wyoming. They have lived in Wyoming, Washington, Utah, New York, Virginia, Delaware and now bounce between Utah and Wyoming. Dad has been a cowboy at heart and has supported his family with his hard work and commitment in the field of Mechanical Engineering. Mom received her diploma from LDS Business College and has used her business and general accounting experience throughout her adult life. Mom has supported our family and has been a wonderful example of service, kindness and a great cook!

I am the youngest of three. I have two older brothers Mike and Scott who served faithful missions and were happily married in the Manti Temple and Washington DC temple respectively. Mike & Angie have 5 children and Scott & Angela have 3 children. Mark and I have two children.

Mom and Dad served a full time mission in Sydney, Australia working as the Directors of the Member Locator program for all of Australia. They also served in the temple while they were there. While in Australia, mom and dad were able to see much of the great land down under and met some wonderful people. Friends that they now consider life long friends. Dad learned how to weave on his mission and continues this hobby today. Both mom and dad learned how to drive on "the other side of the road" although dad did most of the driving!

Since returning back to the states, they also served in the Washington DC temple as full time temple workers. They studied and learned by the Spirit in the Washington temple and loved serving the Lord in the temple. They worked the early morning shift which generally started at 6 am each morning with the exception of Sunday. On Friday's they lead a shift to make sure that all the appropriate temple workers were in place and helped make the temple run smoothly.

Mom and dad have served throughout their entire lives in the church. Dad served a full time mission in the Northern States Territory when he was 19 years of age. He has also served as a high council man, a bishopric counselor, a bishop, along with various other priesthood callings. Mom has served as a primary president, a counselor in the Stake Relief Society, the Relief Society president, the ward organist along with many other callings throughout her life. I remember distinctly many years of service that both mom and dad have given while growing up. They have taught us all to have a prayer in our heart and to give willingly to help others.

Both mom and dad are very active and enjoy many outdoor hobbies. Gardening has always been a passion for dad and he loves to figure out how to keep natures animals out of his garden! Each of them enjoy riding bikes and have traveled 1000's of miles by bike throughout Utah and Wyoming. Dad has competed in the Senior Olympics in St. George completing a mini-triathalon. Even with his flat feet he was able to do the running! Mom has an incredible talent for cross stitching and crocheting. She can cross stitch like no other woman I know. If you ever want to see some of her art, stop by any of our homes. She has helped create beautiful art in each of our homes that we will treasure forever. She has also created beautiful baby blankets for every new baby in our family. So it is true, I have artist for a mother and athlete for a dad!

I know that if their parents were here today to see and know them personally, they would be so happy and proud of them. And although they are no longer here on Earth, they are happily smiling down on them and send their blessings to not only them but to all of us.

I am grateful tonight for my parents. For the love, service, endurance, support, guidance, intuition, education and example I am forever grateful. Happy Anniversary and we love you very very much.

1 comment:

Angela said...

This is a great tribute to your parents! I am so grateful to be a part of your family and acknowledge your parents hand and example in my life. Scott is a wonderful husband and I know it comes back to the example and life lessons that your parents taught him. Thank you for the post. I may cut and paste some parts for my 2008 blog book. :)