Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ouch!

Well today was the day we have been dreading! Warning . . . this story may make you queezy!

I was getting ready in our bathroom, Mark was out in our bedroom as was Max. The next thing we heard was a high pitch squeel from Max . . . you know the ones I am talking about? The cry / squeel where his face turns red, tears are running down his face, his mouth is open but he is not breathing? I've heard this cry a couple of times now in Max's short almost 2 1/2 years of life. It just makes me want to cry for him. What had happened . . . ? This was our question to Max as both Mark and I go running to him. Turns out Max decided to put his left hand on the "just unplugged still very hot iron" that was sitting on our ironing board in our bedroom! Oh boy, the burning was still hurting so we rushed him in to the bathroom and got his hand under the cold water. We then were able to get a cold wash cloth on him and we were off to the store to look for some time of burn cream.

After administering some Tylenol, we found out from our friend Darren, the pharmacist, that you apply Neosporin to the burn and Neosporin comes with pain relief medicine in it. We also found the "spiderman" bandaids that were just the right size for his fingers. All day today we has barely used his left hand but, tonight things were looking better. We have reassured Max that it will be ok . . . but, I did feel so bad for him. Especially when I should have just put the iron up instead of leaving it to cool on the board. Ughh . . . motherhood is certainly a learning experience.

As for some good news . . . I had a sister in our ward reteach me (because I am sure my mother taught me more than once) how to bottle and pressurize green beans about two weeks ago. This week I was able to pick fresh green beans from a garden that was over flowing with green beans. A friend lent me her pressure cooker and I decided to give it a go. With some help as to exactly how much water to put in the pressure cooker . . . I was able to bottle five pint jars of green beans. I was very excited to put in to practice what I had been shown and of course to add something to our food storage shelves! This week I will be "relearning" how to bottle tomatoes and peaches. I'm really looking forward to that.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Poor Max!! (and poor you and Mark too!) Makenah did that with my curling iron when she was about Max's age (it's like your stomach and your heart just sink when you hear them cry like that).

good luck with the canning process. I don't have the patience. :)