Thursday, October 29, 2009

Family Night

On Monday nights we have Family Home Evening and I tell you Max LOVES it! We have a short lesson, sing a couple of songs, read a scripture and of course have some sort of treat! He usually asks to have family night every night! This past week we talked about tithing and how important it is to give back to the Lord 10% of our earnings. I used a couple of different ways to explain it to him ... first, we used popcorn. Everyone was given a bowl with a small amount of popcorn and I had one bowl that was empty in the middle of the table. I asked Max, Grandma & Grandpa if they would be willing to contribute any of their small amounts of popcorn to the bowl and if they said yes, then I poured more popcorn in to their bowl ... enough to almost overflow the bowl. Of course then explaining that when we give, we receive more blessings than we know what to do with. Then we counted 10 pennies each and gave one penny to tithing, 2 or 3 pennies to future missionary fund and the rest went to fun money (of course to buy more gum!). We went over the tithing envelope and that we give our tithing to the Bishop at church and this in turn is keeping a commandment that Heavenly Father has given us. I also had picked up a cute bank at Deseret Book so that Max could keep track of his "treasure" that is for tithing, missionary fund and fun money. He had a great time. Our closing song each week is Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes ... so here is Max and Grandma having a great time singing and doing the motions. Grandpa missed out on this video version but, each week we all do this several times before we call it a night.

No comments: