Friday, October 17, 2008

House Maintenance, Car Maintenance, Mom Maintenance

I've heard the saying, "When it rains, it pours" referring to many different things. But, this week in particular I am having a hard time trying not to get discouraged. But, here is a brief recap of maintenace opportunities ...
House - Downstairs walk out basement doors ... doors not 100% installed correctly from builder; therefore, we have water damage coming through to the moldings and carpet. Builder supposedly "fixed" this back when we originally moved in, ha ha ha;
Solutions: First Contractor - replace the entire door, get it sealed correctly, etc. approx. $2K + the cost of fixing whatever damage they find along the way.
Second Contractor - Replace water damaged moldings, clean carpet, rehang original door, do a little concrete work outside to have water drain away from door - approx. $400 - $600.
Cars - Inspection for Honda ... replace two back tires, windshield and then the man told me the horn was not working - to which I said, let me show you how it is working ... and layed on the horn! Uggh - windshield has passed for years with the single crack, why not now? Two new tires $150; horn - who knows ....Inspection for truck ... we'll see tomorrow. My heart can only take so much in one week.
Mom - Maintenance on mom should probably be characterized as an on-going project! Stress from the economy and a hiring freeze at Freeman (therefore, no work) coupled with house and car expenses, along with our standard on-going life experiences should lend me to some sort of "time-out for Mom" don't you think? Did I mention that I had a little "run-in" with Max last Saturday while putting my contacts in ... therefore I now have no contacts? Thankfully after having one doctors office visit that was completely disorganized and disfunctional and raised my blood pressure, I was able to get in to see a competent doctor who did take our insurance! This was my miracle for the week - as I despise wearing glasses.

I realize we are not the only ones going through "maintenance" problems as anyone who owns a home and a car have opportunities such as these to "grow" and become "stronger". I'm hoping that my cup is full and we can start to work on solutions for draining our cup.

2 comments:

Rebecka said...

We understand! We just took our car to be inspected and things that have passed for years, all the sudden don't cut it, so we have to fork out the dough as well. Ughh...

Shellie said...

We have had the "rain/pour" factor quite a few times over the past year and I can say it's NOT FUN! Hopefully things get better next week :)