This month I have been working on a new plate that includes the pink ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness. I am hoping they will be out by the end of next week. I'll keep you posted.This reminds me of the 3-Day Avon Breast Cancer Walk I did in 2002. I raised $1900 and walked from Baltimore, MD to Washington DC and it was a long 60 miles! I remember thinking that the curbs in Washington felt like rocky mountains after walking for three days. I also recall thinking that I would have made a lousy pioneer as I know the pioneers did not have the comfort of a Nike sneaker and porta pottys every 2 to 3 miles! I did meet many breast cancer survivors on the walk and heard many of their stories. It was a triumphant feeling to walk into a town and hear complete strangers tell you "thank you for walking" or "thanks for helping my sister or mom". Some other great signs along the way were, "mom, hurry home - we are out of cereal" or "save the boobies". It was a wonderful experience, one that I will never forget. I surely hope that I will never have to fight cancer of any sort but, realize that many do and my heart goes out to all.
No comments:
Post a Comment