Saturday, March 14, 2009

Darn Good Chocolate Cake!

Have you ever heard of the Cake Doctor? Several years ago I purchased this book and have loved to use it as a source for when you have a cake mix but, you want to make it taste phenominal! On page 36, you will find the recipe for Darn Good Chocolate Cake .... and I must tell you, that I have used this recipe a few times and it really is a winner. So I will share with you this recipe and encourage any of you who bake to pick up this book.
1 pkg 18.25 ounces plain devil's food (or any chocolate mix)
1 pkg 3.9 ounces of chocolate instant pudding mix
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Mix everything together except the chocolate chips. Once everything is mixed, fold the chips into the batter. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake is firm and pulls away from the sides. Anne Byrn the author suggests making this cake in a bundt pan ... and really you don't have to put icing on it but the icing will add to the richness. The sour cream is what makes the cake so rich and the pudding mix adds moisture. All the recipes in this book start out with a basic bought in the store cake mix. Fun and yummy!

1 comment:

Raenie said...

Hummm...I might just have to get a copy of this book. I love the idea that they all start with a cake mix...I'm all about making it easy. Thanks for sharing.