Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fall Craft Project

I have been diligently looking for craft ideas that Max and I can do to help him learn and have fun as well. We have found the local library and have gone to the story telling time which was fun for him and we'll plan to continue to do that each week.

I saw an idea similar to this online for valentine hearts but thought we could try doing this for fall leaves. We took old crayons and shaved the wax down with pencil sharpeners. With this leaf we used yellow, red and orange crayons. Then place your shavings on a piece of wax paper. Place a second piece of wax paper on top. Turn your iron on to the lowest setting and put the wax paper (with shavings inside) inside a piece of newspaper. "Iron" your paper for just a few seconds and the heat will melt the crayons and wax paper together. Be careful because the wax will go outside of the wax paper ... depending on how big of a piece you use onto your newspaper. Wait a minute or two and trace a shape on the wax paper to cut out. I used an old cereal box to create shapes to trace out on the wax paper. Then cut your shape out, punch a whole in the top and hang with your favorite string. Max is currently hooked on pipe cleaners and we have a whole bunch - thanks to Aunt Angela on our trip across country. Anyway, we did three the other day and hung them up on the blinds. They are really pretty especially when the sun is shining through. You can do this for Christmas tree shapes - or any holiday really. Easy project and it held Max's attention for 20 minutes which is really good!

1 comment:

Allison said...

What a neat idea! I'll be sure to try it as I've been looking for crafty things to do! Thanks Stephanie!