Monday, September 7, 2009

Carthage Jail

Our next big stop was in Illinois at Carthage and Nauvoo. These are two historical towns for our church and I had never been to either one of them. I was excited to go and see this first hand and to feel the spirit while touring the jail, visitors center and temple. What a beautiful part of the country - very green and lush. The flowers were amazing and the weather ended up being perfect. There are lots of pictures to upload! Enjoy!

Joseph & Hyrum Smith Statue outside Carthage Jail Visitor Center.

Memorial of Joseph, Emma & Hyrum Smith
The top window is where Joseph was shot and fell out of to the ground.

Inside the room where Joseph, Hyrum and others were held.



Window from which Joseph fell out after mob shot him.



Kitchen area within the home / jail.


Original Door that leads to the stairs & jail cells.



Original Cell that Joseph & Others were held in until they were moved to the master bedroom of the jail keeper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. It's fun reading about your journey. Hope Mark is doing well!