The past two weeks have a been very stressful and full of challenges. But I thought I would share of some of the progress and stories we have made with Max.
First, we have been successful at converting him to big boy pants. He now has a full selection of Elmo underwear that he is proud to put on each morning. We have had a couple of nasty accidents but, for the most part he is doing great! The secret I have found is to constantly remind him to go sit on Elmo. However, the evening of July 3rd we were at our Bishop's house in Stephens City for his annual fireworks show and Max told me twice, "mommy I need to pee" so off we went to find Ms. Carols bathroom. I was very proud of him!
Second, we have converted Max's crib to a day bed. We thought this process would help get excited about going to sleep in his own bed vs. falling asleep on our bed beside mom! The first night he fell out of the bed twice and the second night he fell out once before we just put him in bed with us. So, by the third night we were off to find a guard to fit around his crib mattress to help hold him in. Now this seems to help him from rolling out but . . . he can get in and out on his own. So, now we have a wondering 2 year old on occassion through out the night. The other night I was so sound asleep and he literally scared me to death as he was climbing up to get next to me. I now call him the traveling angel at night.
Max is also fun to listen to as he is going to sleep. The other night he was saying to me, "Not Walmart just Target . . . Not Walmart, just Target". Or another favorite was, "The flies are going nite nite outside" accompanied by "the grass is growing outside". His mind must literally be racing with thoughts as he tries to slow down and catch some sleep.
Max loves to go to church especially nursery. Our biggest challenge is getting him through the first hour of Sacrament Meeting. I take books, crayons, snacks, etc. but all of this still does not hold his attention and inevitably Mark ends up taking him to the hallway. Help! When do they start making it all the way through an hour and 15 minutes worth of attention? I usually end up using Nursery as a bribe to him. I tell him he needs to be a good listener and sit reverently so he can go to Nursery. That usually lasts for maybe 60 seconds! Oh well, I am sure it is just his age.
Any suggestions are welcome to others who may have a solution to holding their attention at two!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, congrats on the potty training! I really think it was when Nick was about 3 that we finally made it through sacrament meeting. We used to high five each other when we were able to stay through the actual sacrament. Fortunately, Ryan has done much better, maybe because he has the entertainment and torture of Nick's companionship. Anyway I was known to pull out a dum dum or two - yes, in church - to get us through the first hour.
The wal-mart comment is priceless. I'm going to teach Jake to say the same!
Post a Comment