Monday, April 11, 2011

Possible Fire!

About two weeks ago right after my parents got here for a little vacation .... we were sitting down to dinner and we heard firetrucks coming down the street in front of our neighborhood. Seems as though the sirens were getting louder and louder ... so I got up to see where they were headed. Turns out they pulled in to our complex and stopped at OUR building! Mom ran out the door to see smoke coming from an apartment vent below us. OK - so now what to grab and go. In the meanwhile I see the firemen coming up our stairs with ax in hand and I say, I'm sure you want us out. He says, no at this point stay in your apartment. What? Really? Now Max has full blown curiosity, I'm starting to have nightmares from 11 years ago, and mom and dad are wondering which pictures to grab off the wall, which files along with grabbing what we can while we have a minute to "wait in our apartment". I grabbed the camera and started taking pictures as quick as possible and hauled out of the house with Max, purse & camera. Turns out the smoke was coming from our neighbors dryer vent and there really was a lot of smoke coming out and someone in the complex saw it and called 911. Firemen got in to the apartment (no one was home) and investigated the dryer. It appeared ok and cleared everyone to go back in. But, there was 5 fire trucks and several "management" looking trucks that all came. Since this night, dad found out that about 4 or 5 years ago, there was a building in our complex that burned down (great.....) and I'm sure when they hear apartment complex, the calvary does come! Thankfully, nothing more happened and we were able to return to our apartment.

No comments: