Friday, March 11, 2011

The Suspicious Package ...

Tonight as I was riding the metro home and I saw / found what I would term as a "suspicious" package. I left work at my usual time of 4:25 ish ... and headed to Federal Triangle metro. I boarded the metro and started out wide awake then realized it was time for my power nap. However, about two stops before mine, I awoke from my power nap and my car was much less crowded. I noticed a paint can under the seat of a man across and up a few rows from me. I remembered the man coming on to the train and knew the paint can was not his. But, I did not notice it before. Perhaps because it had been hidden by fellow riders along with purses, backpacks, brief cases, jackets, newspapers, books, lunch bags, etc. But this paint can did not appear to have a top but was covered with aluminum foil. Hmmm, I thought. This seems a bit out of place especially during rush hour traffic. So, as we are pulling in to the final stop (and I have now looked over those who are left on my train to see if anyone is looking suspicious as well) decide to make a comment to the man who was sitting above the paint can. I asked him, "Is that your paint can?" and of course he said no. I said, well to me that is quite out of place and constitutes a suspicious package. So, I went to the end of our car and pushed the emergency red button. I pushed it SEVERAL times and no one answered. But, now we are stopped and people are getting off and others are starting to get back on. Other riders, say thank you for seeing that .... we'll try to locate someone as well. In the meanwhile, still no answer at the "Emergency" button. I then proceed to tell a woman with a stroller not to get on the car until this "package" is removed along with several others whom were boarding. A man appeared with his metro logo clothes and we pointed it out to him. He called it in on the radio and left the package behind. I'm thinking, well I would not feel comfortable picking it up either ... at least not without gloves and perhaps a dog to sniff it out. I took the escalator to the top and again mentioned the situation to the metro officials in the booth. They thanked me and I was on my way. I never heard a trian blow-up and I have no idea if it really was just a paint can left on the metro. But, really ... who takes a paint can on the metro and then forgets it? Really? Don't you think it was suspicious too?

PS - I say suspicious because they broadcast constantly, if you see something, say something. Report all suspicious packages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd call it suspicious. And I'm not surprised about the lack of response when you pushed the button. Last time I was in DC, my metro card stopped working and I'd just put 20 bucks on it. The guy at the booth had me fill out a form and told me to mail it in to get my refund.

Still no refund. And don't bother calling them. They never answer.