Tuesday, January 5, 2010

School Supplies are Rolling In!

Just before Christmas, my neighbor contacted me about collecting some school supplies through her daughters 4th grade class. I was excited that she was interested in promoting this service project and sent her some information! This past weekend, she delivered to me the boxes of supplies that they had collected along with a class picture and letters that the kids had written to the kids in Afghanistan! They did an amazing job and as I was sorting through all the things, I decided to give our local newspaper (The Spectrum) a call to see if they would be interested in the story. Sure enough, a reporter called me yesterday afternoon and today she and a photographer came out to take some pictures. By the time the reporter had called me, I had already sent 4 boxes of things earlier in the day but, still had a couple more boxes to fill. Of course, I ended up crying as I was telling the reporter why I was doing this. I asked her, "Do you have kids?" She said no, but the photographer said yes, two. I said, when we can send our kids off to school knowing that they are safe to walk, have a warm building to meet in, a clean cafeteria, indoor plumbing, a fun and safe playground and not have to worry about getting hurt by any crazy explosions ... that's why I am doing this service project for these kids! The pictures of the kids is reason enough for me to want to help them! It seems so unfair that so many children are born in to poverty or in to extreme social and economic measures while so many of us were blessed to be born in to just the opposite circumstances. I pray that the educational supplies that we send will in the end help other children know that education will bring them a better future and hopefully one that is filled with hope and love. I'll be anxious to see how the article comes out and to see what other kind of response I get. See the side bar for the total amount of supplies that I have sent thus far.

1 comment:

Raenie said...

I think that's awesome that you are spearheading such a worthy cause. I'm sure you'll never quite know what a difference you are making in these kid's lives. So cool!!