This is Shaw one of the interpreters holding a little girl with a new pair of shoes in hand.
Paper & Crayons ... the most basic!
Since Mark has been in Afghanistan, I have been hearing about the children and the schools that he has been working on. In an effort to help the children and keep me busy, I have started collecting basic school supplies to send to Mark to distribute to the two local schools. The childrens schools are segregated and Mark has worked on each one. So far most of the supplies have been donated by us but, this past week while purchasing some of the supplies at a Dollar Tree, the lady behind me checking out asked me what I was doing. She then proceeded to hand me a $5 bill and said please put this towards the shipping. Another lady from our ward was also in the store and saw what I was doing. A few days later, she had gathered up several supplies of notebooks, pencils, pens and some candy and brought them by for me to send. This week I sent three boxes to Mark that include pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, filler paper, large notebooks and some paper folders. As I get the word out about how easy it is to send the packages, I am hoping that others will catch the spirit of service and charity and help to donate items to the children who have so little. Another wife, of one of Mark's co-workers, send shoes over to the children. I am including some of the pictures that Mark sent out this week of the kids and of him. If anyone is interested in donating or sending letters to the military men and women, please let me know. They would be thrilled to get your kids letters or pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment