
The deal of the day .... today I was over at one of our local thrift stores and came upon a box of granite sample squares. I was looking at them and noticed that each of them had a felt back to them and they were all approximately the same size. My first thought was that these would make great coasters! Another lady came by and told me they would make a great top to a table, etc. although it would be a VERY heavy table. Anyway, I was searching for a price on these and found a price tag of $15 for the box. I ended up paying .25 cents a piece for these little gems. I got them home cleaned them up and they are ready to sell! I'm going to sell these at an outdoor festival that I am doing in a couple of weeks along with my plates, vases and dad's weavings. Hmmm ... then I started thinking about my lesson for this coming Sunday with my (10) ten year-olds at church. Our lesson includes temple marriage and I thought perhaps I would use these pieces of granite to compare the strength and beauty of the temple. Then I remembered the story of when I was a young girl, we traveled down to Washington DC and we stopped by the temple while it was under construction. I was about 5 years old and we were having a picnic lunch up near the temple. One of the construction workers came over to me with two pieces of the marble that they were using on the temple and handed them to me. One of the pieces burned in the 2000 fire and the other is pictured next to the black piece of granite. I plan to show the kids this on Sunday but, the symbolism that this piece has for me is significant. The temples of course are built with some of the finest materials in the world. Marble, granite and other materials are found on and in our beautiful temples that remain the House of the Lord here on earth. How grateful I am to be living so close to many of these beautiful temples. To learn more about the temples visit
LDS Temples.
No comments:
Post a Comment